The Wisdom of Edna Mode
I had a nightmare. Not one of those appearing-naked-in-public dreams, but almost as bad. I had been cast in some sort of musical theatre production. That should be hellish enough…but it was the first day of rehearsals, and I hadn’t learned any of my songs or dance steps. I had to go to the director and admit to her that I wasn’t prepared. It was awful. Then I heard the voice of Edna Mode (the diminutive, fierce fashion designer from The Incredibles) ringing in my ears, “Darling, luck favors the prepared.” And she is right. Being prepared is empowering. It removes fear from potentially new situations; you are ready for whatever may come your way. That’s why first responders conduct rescue drills over and over and over. And it’s the motto of the Boy Scouts, who claim to be ready for anything.
As I tried to shake off the fogginess of sleep and the humiliation of the dream, I thought more about Edna Mode and realized that she has several pearls of wisdom to share:
- “I never look back, darling! It distracts from the now.” All we have is today…right now. We can’t go back and change the past, and we can’t touch the future. Carpe diem. Make the most of life right now. I have a family member with dementia; she doesn’t always remember the past, and we never know what her tomorrow will be like. All we can do is try to give her some happy moments now. Tell the special people in your life that you love and appreciate them. Give extra hugs.
- “Supermodels. Feh! Nothing super about them… spoiled, stupid little stick figures with poofy lips who think only about themselves.” For too long, our society and the media have been obsessed with an unrealistic image of beauty. As a parent of a teenaged girl, I find it refreshing to see that the world is starting to realize that we aren’t all 6′ 2″, 120 pounds and Photoshopped. As Christina Aguilera sings, “We are beautiful in every single way.”
- “Men at Robert’s age are often unstable…prone to weakness.” Anyone out there married to a middle-aged man? Enough said. (Just kidding, honey. My hubby continues to amaze me with his fortitude every day.)
- “No capes!” I just like saying it. But in truth, capes are impractical. Even those with the little slits for your hands. Have you ever tried to carry a purse or drive a car while wearing a cape? Seriously. Edna knows what she’s talking about.
- “Yes, words are useless! Gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble! Too much of it, darling, too much!” Here’s my pet peeve for the day: people who talk and talk and talk about problems but don’t take any steps to fix them. If they spent half the time doing something as they spent talking, the world would be a happier place. And on that note: “Go, confront the problem. Fight! Win!“
“And call me when you get back, darling. I enjoy our visits.”